Kapalbhati is the yogic exercise that involves deep breathing and meditation to cleanse mind and body. It is also referred as a de-stressing exercise. Baba Ramdev had made tremendous efforts to make Kapalbhati a popular exercise, so much so that it has been started in many schools, colleges and offices.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Benefits:
- Help in weight loss.
- Cleanses respiratory system and, minimizing the risks of infections and allergies in the system. Apart from this, it helps in improving the flexibility of diaphragm and thus reduce the probability of developing a hernia.
- Help in improving respiratory efficiency and making more oxygen available to the body. As more oxygen flows into the body, it becomes more efficient and let you feel energetic.
- Relax the mind and body muscles.
- Helps in improve blood circulation.
- Improved concentration.
Kapalbhati Side Effects:
Kapalbhati is not recommended for the patients of:
- Heart related diseases
- Spinal disorders
- Severe respiratory infections, colds and nasal obstruction should also not perform this breathing and cleansing technique.
- High blood pressure
- Abdominal ulcers
- To avoid any side effects, it is best to perform it only after consultation with your doctor and a qualified yoga instructor.
How to do Kapalbhati?
However, if you want to do yourself than is important to consult your doctor first and follow the steps given below:
- Sit straight on the mat, facing east side with your cross legs.
- Take in a deep breath and exhale quickly with a puff sound.
- When you exhale, constrict your abdominal muscles inward. When you inhale, your abdominal muscles relax and came to its position.
- Continue inhale and exhale along with constricting & expanding abdominal muscles and then take a break. Perform two more similar rounds.
- After completing the round, relax yourself with your eyes closed and observe the sensations in your body.